African Challenges Corporation  
HomeAbout UsOur ServicesEventsDonationsFAQsContact Us

ACC Minnesota
ACC California
ACC Africa


Below are some frequently asked questions and answers pertaining with education, health, employment, immigration, and more.

Q: How do I apply for college in Minnesota?
A: Like other states in the United States of America, Minnesota has several colleges and universities. Depending of the equivalence of your degree or diploma from a foreign country, you can attend a community college, a technical college, a four year university, or any professional institutions in Minnesota. Since each individual differs from others, contact us and we will work out with our admission specialists to find the solution that best fits your needs.

Q: What schools/programs are available?
A: There are many opportunities that are offered to students in Minnesota. The key point again is to identify the best program and the appropriate school that matches your unique profile. Some schools are more expensive than others and some programs are longer than others. Our advisors will spend sometimes with you to determine the most appropriate solution for you.

Q: Where are the local libraries?
A: Each county in the state of Minnesota has several public libraries. The bigger cities in each county have at least one public library but generally speaking, each city must have a public library. The following website is a useful resource to find local libraries:
However, if you have difficult access to a computer to perform your search, feel free to contact us with a request and we will be more than happy to help you out. Our employees, staffs, and volunteers are dedicated to excellent customer service and are honored to serve other Africans.

Q: Where and how can I apply for medical/dental Insurance?
A: There are many different providers in the State of MN and your unique situation and profile will determine the best options for you and your family. We can share with you some information and/or refer you to some specialists within our network.

Q: Where can I get free testing on HIV/Hepatitis C?
A: HIV/AIDS is a hot topic in Minnesota. The department of Health and other public programs work hard to offer free testing for HIV. We work in partnership with African Health Action (1931 1st Avenue South Suite #100 Minneapolis, MN 55403 phone number 612.216.3886) to offer free Testing for HIV and Hepatitis C to Africans living in Minnesota.

Q: Where are the hospitals in my area?
A: If it is an emergency call 911 otherwise, each area in the state has a local hospital. The phone book will help you identify the available hospitals in your area.

Q: How do I find a job?
A: There are many ways to find a job in this State. We at African Challenges Corporation put together a list of Web sites, temp-agencies, and are building a network of current African workers with the potential of helping new immigrants to integrate the workforce. Finally, we recommend the Workforce center to everyone as they provide many resources and helpful assistance.

Q: How can I write a resume/cover letter?
A: The Workplace Center can definitely help you but ACC also has many other centers we work with throughout the state assisting job seekers to create, build, and improve their resume/cover letters. ACC can help you understanding the spirit of resume writing and connect you with experienced and talented resume writers. Furthermore, we do prepare people for interviews.

Q: How can I adjust my immigration status?
A: To have a peace of mind you should not be considered as an “illegal alien.” It is important to know your legal options and opportunities. Because we build a strong network with experienced specialists of immigrations and lawyers, we can help you understand your rights and raise your awareness on legal policies in the State of Minnesota. Furthermore, our specialist can assist you if you need to learn more about adjustment of status.

Q: Where do I find African Stores/Markets in my area?
A: You can find African stores/markets in many places within the metro area. Please provide us with your area and we will indicate you the nearest location for you or try your Yellow Pages phone book.

Q: Where can I learn to speak English?
A: Each county provides ESL programs, please call us to find out the options that you have in your area or visit

Q: Where can I get on a bus?
A: Contact the Metro-Transit hotline: (612) 373-3333

Q: What is the emergency number?
A: 911 is the emergency number but make sure that when you call 911 it is really an emergency. Check out the following website:

Q: How can I understand the law enforcement in the US?
A: By contacting us, we can sign you up for free law enforcement training with the Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center police department to learn more about the rules and regulations in Minnesota and minimize your risk of frustration with the police.

Q: Where can I find a place to live?
A: If you are looking for a place to rent or a house to buy, we can share some of the useful tips that we developed. In addition, we will show you the areas within the state with the majority of Africans.

  photo of African man  
©2008-2015 African Challenges Corporation | Site Designed by Julie Kierski